BAAYA – The Indian Weaver Bird
Baaya Design is a retail store and studio which offers an unmatched range of Folk & Cultural Art, Home Accessories and Skill Based Consultancy services. Baaya stands for distinctive craftsmanship and design. Like the Indian weaver bird (Baaya), we offer the best skills in combination with utility and beauty in our products. Our unique and natural range speaks of India’s age old, exquisite skills while mapping the demands of current day markets. In other words, our products are contemporary expressions of traditional skills
Today we at Baaya Design, can confirm that there is a strong need to access artisan skills and adapt them to market needs. The need is felt in the market place- where interiors are getting more contemporary but the love of India's own traditions, heritage and aesthetics is still felt strongly. Baaya Design enables the creation of unique and distinctive interior spaces that reflect our own roots- giving us a sense of comfort and belonging, while blending effortlessly with the global and eclectic world we live in. The need is also urgently felt to preserve our amazing artisan skills, that have been honed and passed down across many ages. our talented artisans, Across the last few years, we have created contemporary and transformative spaces and delighted our customers with the possibilities. In our store we have innovated and introduced our own range of art furniture apart from the select folk art, artefacts and accessories that only we provide in a retail format. Our indigenous art range boasts a variety of over 32 different types of art from various regions. We bring you furniture designs and home décor, handmade and painted by our skilled, award winning artisans.
The main objective of Baaya remains to make us rediscover our authentic culture and arts, that we innovate through our designs and décor ideas. We believe in bringing our artists to the fore, promoting them and in turn creating a win-win for all.
Baaya has completed projects with:-
- AXIS BANK - Giving them the artwork best suited for a professional environment. 9 stories depict a different art form each. Its educative and reflects their national presence.
- ACCELYA KALE - Suggesting, providing them with the best interiors and art form, making their space contemporary and young.
- IDFC - Stunning warli murals adorn the walls of their guesthouse, providing an earthy, natural touch. We have also provided custom art work for their office interiors.
- AMBY VALLEY - Working with our best artists at Wood Pecker restaurant, to create a lively, multi-cultural and contemporary ambience.
- NYATI- Pune - Providing them with our best artwork to brighten up their exteriors and interiors.
- Kala Ghoda - Our art installation called Dhanda received many accolades.
- Vector Projects - Our shimmer base art combining Gond and Warli, brought life to their site at Banglore.
- CSA Art Auction - Providing our art for charity- the paintings of master artisans created a stir at the recent auction held in the city.
About the Founder
We intend to bring back to life our Indian art, in a manner that is more colorful, innovative and communicative and maps the world of today. We provide a fair platform for artisans to work in modern spaces and with new ideas. We host workshops on Indian art, like Gond and Patachitra Art, held by famous artists, to encourage and build awraeness with more people about our art forms, thereby giving the artists the due they deserve.